This ethereal-looking curved structure dates from the early 19th Century. A Grade II* listed building the greenhouse resembles the designs of Sir George Mackenzie of Edinburgh and John Claudius Louden, the famous gardening expert of the period, whose pioneering works were amongst the first to see the importance of curved greenhouses as a means of achieving maximum light.
Recent research has revealed that the greenhouse was originally situated in the grounds of Bretton Hall in Yorkshire. In 1832 after seeing it for sale in an auction catalogue, Sir Moses purchased it, had it dismantled, transported and re-erected in his Estate grounds.
Roman numerals which are etched on the York stone that forms the walkway and shelving were used as a guide to enable the greenhouse to be re-assembled. Constructed of cast iron curving ribs and brass/alloy bars, the greenhouse is covered with fish scale glass panes, which become smaller towards the top. The structure is supported on cast iron columns. Vines grow both in and outside of the greenhouse.See Us On A Map Download Our Brochure
Open during the summer months on some fine weather days, the garden offers a tranquil and relaxing setting to enjoy a refreshing cup of tea, delicious cakes and scrumptious home made scones.
We also serve a selection of freshly made sandwiches and panini between 12 noon and 2.30 pm.
Afternoon tea is also available after 2.30 pm. A minimum of 48 hours notice is required and a small deposit will secure your booking. Opening times and dates can be found below.Download Our Menu
The Tea Garden & Glasshouse are now closed. It’s been a n extremely busy summer season. We would like to thank all our visitors to the greenhouse and tea garden and look forward to seeing you again in the future.
We have no events organised right now but please check back later for details.
This great man was an internationally influential Jewish philanthropist. Living until he was 101, he devoted his time protecting the interests of Jews worldwide, journeying to Romania, Russia, Palestine, Morocco and Syria on their behalf.
His last trip was to Palestine at the age of 92. His generosity also supported many non-Jewish causes which made him a significant role model to the virtues of tolerance and humanity within a multicultural society.
In 1831, Sir Moses bought Eastcliff Lodge, the grounds of which are now known as King George VI Memorial Park. A magnificent structure, the house was his main home until his death.
During his time in Ramsgate, he became a key figure within the community. In 1884, Sir Moses presented the town with an ornate Mayoral chain which is still used today. He was knighted in 1837 and in 1847 became Deputy Lieutenant of Kent.
Over the years the greenhouse has suffered neglect and vandalism. It was originally fully restored and renovated in 1981. Sadly it wasn’t sufficiently maintained and under went a further restoration, commencing in 2002 when it formed part of a bigger project to sympathetically conserve the Stable Block to which it is attached.
The project was a joint venture between Philip Dadds, Stable Block & Glasshouse owner, Thanet District Council and English Heritage. The Stable Blocks to the rear are now a mix of commercial and residential properties.
Described in an early guide to the area as 'a beautiful villa in Gothic taste', East Cliff Lodge was built by a Mr Boncey of Margate for one Benjamin Bond Hopkins, who acquired the land in 1794. This unusual and picturesque house, which was first rated in 1799 at £40, was rectangular with battlemented elevations, Gothic windows and a well in the middle.
Over the years alterations were made to it, some by well know architect Decimus Burton (1880-1881), almost certainly at the request of Sir Moses. Previous owners include Nathanial Jefferies, James Simmons, James Strange, Patrick Cumming and Admiral Keith a notable figure in the Napoleonic Wars. Another visitor to the Lodge was Caroline Princess of Wales, wife of the future King George IV.
During Sir Moses residence in 1835 the young Princess (later Queen) Victoria, who stayed nearby with her mother the Duchess of Kent, was given special access to the grounds of the Estate in the form of a golden key made to Sir Moses orders.
The East Cliff Lodge Stable Block was sited a little way from the main house and is built in the same style with four castellated towers, pointed windows and archways. Together with the lodge house and further small domestic buildings on the north side of the premises where carriages came in, it conveys powerfully some idea of how attractive, and extensive the whole complex must have once been.
Sale details of the early 1830s reported: 'Detached is the convenient stable yard, enclosed by lofty walls and in which are two three-stalled stables, two coach houses, wood house, tool house, lumber house and piggeries ... spacious laundry and drying grounds.'
Sir Moses had certainly acquired a substantial property, and it was into this stable courtyard, through the elaborate wrought iron gates, that the Montefiore carriage would roll, a vehicle that still exists and can now be seen in the Montefiore museum and settlement, 'Mishkenot Sha'anamin', (a place of peace) near Jerusalem. This settlement was founded by Sir Moses.
East Cliff Lodge remained in the Montefiore family until 1935. When Mrs Arthur Sebag Montefiore finally put the estate on the market, after the untimely death of her husband in a flying accident at nearby Manston. At this point the house was bought by a private company, for use as a country club.
During the second World War soldiers were billeted there. Later Thanet District Council acquired the property and sadly in 1954 it was demolished and King George VI Memorial Park was created in the grounds.
The Stable Block & Glasshouse are owned by Philip & Janice Dadds.
Access to the greenhouse and park is from either Montefiore Avenue or on the sea-side from Victoria Parade. It is 50 metres away from the Montefiore Avenue entrance to the park. From Victoria Parade it is a 5 minute stroll up across the park.